How does a solid state Tesla coil work?
TeslaTronix Tesla Coil Schematic / Circuit Diagram
Single Transistor solid state Tesla coil
Reference: Wikipedia- Blocking oscillator.
- DC voltage is fed into the positive and negative portion of the circuit.
- This V+ line breaks off into a node which consists of a resistor to the base of the transistor, and the input of L1 (primary coil).
- The current from V+ likes to flow through the path of least resistance. The output of L1 is fed into the collector of the same transistor.
- When Voltage if first applied, it will attempt to first flow through the L1, but the transistor is currently in its OFF state, so current is then forced to flow to the base of the transistor.
- When current hits the base of the transistor, the collector opens, and a burst of current will now flow through the L1, out the emitter of the transistor.
- Again, current always follows the path of least resistance, so no more current flows to the base of the transistor due to the resistance, and the base closes.
- When the base closes, current will no longer flow through L1, and then current is again forced to flow through the resistor to the base of the transistor.
- The process repeats itself at 550,000 times per second or 550kHz- 1.5Mhz. This can be changed with tuning capacitors and transistor types.
- These output voltage pulses are multiplied by the ratio of the primary to the secondary coil (L2), as these pulses travel up the secondary coil
- All this energy then breaks out of the end of the wire of L2 as wireless Tesla energy- an expanding and contracting (pulsing) electromagnetic field of sorts.
- By placing a toroid (a large metallic sphere, or lots of windings of wire tied together to ensure a voltage difference of 0v across it) that energy becomes stored (as a capacitance) and broadcasted as usable power.
The connection for the base to the bottom end of L2 is necessary for tuning, and the diode(s) (this circuit can function with one diode) protect the circuit. A LED can also be used in conjunction with a diode to denote power through the circuit. Wireless Tesla energy can be demonstrated with several LEDs in series with a resistance, or with any type of florescent tube.